Monday, June 24, 2013

And then I colored my hair!


In an official "I'm turning 40 in just over a year" moment I colored my hair. My natural hair color is strawberry blond and for years every time I walk out of the hair salon someone stops me to ask if it is my natural color. I've been told that my natural color doesn't come in a bottle which is one of the reasons I've held off coloring it for so long. As it gets lighter in the summer I start to miss the red, so I decided to add some. I seem to have forgotten that I've tried to dye it before and it never held color, something I should have thought about before I grabbed the box of "Intense Copper". After rinsing the boxed dye out I had big splotchy uneven patches of red, really red! It would have been fabulous if it had gone in evenly but my hairline, bangs and back of my head did not hold any color. I did this to myself on a Sunday night, thankfully my hairdresser works on Mondays. I still had to take my leopard clown hair to work so I pinned it up in a french twist to hide my mane of many colors. I mentally ran through all of the colors of bandanas that I own and outfits I could match them to. Within minutes of the salon opening I was on the phone. I was told I could get in for a consult at the end of the day but she may not be able to actually fix my hair until next week. I seriously considered shopping around but I love and trust my hairdresser so I figured I would start with the consult.

As I was on my walk of shame into that salon my hairdresser let out a sigh of relief. She had imagined it being so much worse. The receptionist asked if I went darker or lighter, I told her darker but must not of told her it was a shade of red. My hairdresser was worried I went brown or black she said I was her last client that she would expect to have to do a corrective color on. We discussed covering it with color so I could still have the red and she was able to do it right then! Looking at color swatches I picked the one I originally wanted, a strawberry blonde that was just a little more red than my natural hair. Only thing, it was lighter than the color I had dyed it, I would have to go darker.The stuff she painted onto my head had a magenta/purple hue to it, I had to keep telling myself that I have trusted this woman to my hair for years. My hairdresser kept talking about how much she like the color as she rinsed it out, I had to agree if I was looking for a change this was most certainly it. I usually like to lean into changes gradually but there was no going back. 

I lost count the next day of how many people asked me if I colored by hair. I came real close to saying "No, what are you talking about?" but thought I would hold back on the smart ass remarks for at least a day. Oh and check out the new dress, I found it at JC Penney of all places! It's been a week since the new color and I've finally stopped jumping back when I look in the mirror. The color is starting to settle and has grown on me enough that I will be calling the salon to make sure my next appointment includes color. What the hell happened to Frump Girl?



No comments:

Post a Comment